Reviews Television Theater

‘Newsies’ entertains, but informs, too

From the official Disney website for 'Newsies.'

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA – As all avid theater lovers will be well aware, our beloved art form has been closed far too often in the past two years.

While this has been devastating both for the industry and its fans, it’s forced us to look beyond live theater and into the wonderful world of recorded shows such as “Hamilton.”

Perhaps my favorite of these shows is Newsies, which is on Disney+.

The two-hour long Broadway show originated from the 1992 movie of the same name. It follows the life of New York newsboys Jack Kelly [Jeremy Jordan], Davey Jacobs, Spot Conlon and Crutchie Morris, as they rise against publishing giants Pulitzer and Hearst for better rights as workers.

Based on the true story of the 1899 Newsboys’ Strike, Newsies features songs such as “Santa Fe,” “Seize the Day,” and “Something to Believe In.” These three numbers feature the vocals of Jeremy Jordan, an incredible actor and singer who has also starred in the shows Supergirl and Smash.

Another key feature of Newsies is the choreography. While it is featured mainly in “The World Will Know,” it is strong throughout the show, adding the classic Disney charm which makes this show so successful.

Managing to inform and entertain, Newsies is full of phenomenal singing, acting, and dancing.

A show you wouldn’t want to miss, I encourage you to check out Newsies today.

Ava Minovski is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.