Insider's Guide to High School The Tattoo

Attitude 101

BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. — Here’s a little rundown for freshmen coming into high school this year about the different herds they’ll find in the hallways.
Expect to see a lot of “cliques.” If these groups aren’t obvious on the first day of school, then rest assured they will form later. A lot of these cliques you won’t like, some of them you may join, but I can guarantee you will walk around the hallways class to class with a label on your back.
Whether it be ‘loser,’ ‘cool,’ or ‘gay,’ you most likely won’t deserve it, but due to the trendy high school attitudes, all the weak and feeble minds of fellow classmates will treat you the same as everyone else treats you — mostly like crap.
But don’t get so mad if you’re not considered cool. It’s usually the popular kids that get made fun of the most behind their backs. Flocks of sheep will be roaming the hall together, where you will witness them talking loud, and all participating in a secret game.
The rules to this game: there are no rules. The point to this game: see who can be the most immature. You will hear people yelling out random profanity, see things getting thrown and teachers slamming their doors shut from all the ruckus in the corridors.
If you look down on this hybrid of people, just do what’s best for you, and stay away from them. Or else you’ll suffer undeserved and unwanted harassment.
You’ll find the potheads stick together when cutting class to go smoke a bowl in the woods and come back next period for their English class or whatever. These guys are usually a laid back bunch, so don’t mind them, because for the most part, they don’t mind you.
There will be a lot of ‘preppy thugs’ who think that they rule the school, or at least their grade. Yes, they are dressed in Abercrombie &Fitch, but they too often act like Eminen.
Whether it’s the slang they speak or the dyed hair, Eminen is a blueprint for their personality. Don’t mind them when they try to act like they’re big and bad, it’s how everyone else in their group acts. Therefore, at least in their logic, it’s how they should act, too.
Hey, monkey see, monkey do.
If you didn’t get anything that helps in this basic outlook on the high school social life, I hope that at least this message gets through: when you graduate, and look back on it, you’ll wonder why you dressed like a rapper.
The point is: don’t sweat how popular you are or how people feel about you.
When it’s all said and done, none of this will mean a thing.

Sam Yosafi is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.