News Photo Essay Photography

Catching a glimpse of the solar eclipse

The solar eclipse as seen from Vista Ridge Park near Eddyville, Kentucky on Monday. (Noah Adelsberger/YJI)

Youth Journalism International students in Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky and Maine contributed images to this collecting of photos from the August 21 solar eclipse. Some experienced “totality” – when the moon completely obscures the view of the sun – and others enjoyed seeing a partial eclipse. We expect to have a video later today.  It’s a tough thing to photograph, but our students gave it a try.

During the solar eclipse over Tabor, Iowa, on Monday. (Garret Reich/YJI)

The sun is partially obscured by the moon over Tabor, Iowa, during the solar eclipse Monday, but heavy, dense clouds and some rain put a damper on the viewing. (Garret Reich/YJI)

Before totality in South St. Louis, Missouri, people gathered at the historic Jefferson Barracks Park. Guest speakers and musicians took to the stage of an amphitheater. Food trucks, radio and television news stations converged upon the park and people waited for the show. (Sydney Hallett/YJI)

Check out the video from the South St. Louis event.

During the solar eclipse, an effect similar to a sunset occurred. Instead of being limited to a horizon in one direction, however, it was a 360-degree effect. This image was taken during the eclipse at Vista Ridge Park near Eddyville, Kentucky, on Monday. (Noah Adelsberger/YJI)

The moon begins to block the view of the sun during the solar eclipse, as seen from South St. Louis, Missouri, Monday. (Sydney Hallett/YJI)

The partial solar eclipse, seen through protective glasses in Auburn, Maine. (Mary Majerus-Collins/YJI)

Moon shadows on the ground in Vista Ridge Park near Eddyville, Kentucky during the solar eclipse. The leaf cover overhead acted like a pinhole camera, creating the effect of an image of the eclipse on the ground. (Noah Adelsberger/YJI)

Girl Scouts gather at Bear Creek, their camp in Fairdealing, Kentucky, to watch the solar eclipse. This image was made during a partial eclipse, before totality arrived. (Owen Cardwell-Copenhefer/YJI)

The partial solar eclipse with about 60 percent of the sun obscured by the moon, as seen in Auburn, Maine. This image was made through solar eclipse watching glasses. (Yelena Samofalova/YJI)

For a time, the clouds obscured the view of the partial eclipse on an otherwise clear day in Auburn, Maine. This image was made through special safety glasses made for viewing the eclipse. (Mary Majerus-Collins/YJI)

*** 
You can help create the “wow” factor of an eclipse by supporting students of Youth Journalism International at: