Perspective The Tattoo

Dirty dishes: dough to the toiling teen

“Come in at six!” barks Tom Calgari, one of my bosses at Exclusive Catering Group, Inc., also known as The Sophia Room.

I feel lucky that I can hear those words because a lot of my friends don’t have jobs, or lost them.

Recently, American Rotisserie on North Main Street closed down and several of my friends, and my brother, lost their jobs.

Having a job means a lot to teenagers.

To some, it builds and gives them responsbility. To others, it gives the feeling of being an adult.

I’m happy to have a job, but as a chef’s assistant and dishwasher, my job is tiring and, at times, very rushed. I typically work between six and 10 hours a night.

I usually come to work in a good mood with lots of energy, but by the end of the night, I often feel like breaking something.

The work gets very hectic at times, especially when the waitresses bring back dishes and glasses.

In a space of about 10 minutes, we can receive around 200 dishes, not to mention the pots and pans used by the kitchen staff.

All in all, I like my job because it makes me feel important knowing everyone would have a hard time at work without my help.

Because of my job I feel that I have become more responsible at home and at school.

Having a job can help teach responsibility, but when you get right down to it, most of us are just in it for the money.

Devin Kingsbury is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.