Insider's Guide to High School Journals The Tattoo

Feeling scared as a new high school student

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina, U.S.A. — Except bees and roller coasters, nothing really scares me. Well, that is at least what I used to believe.
Starting high school presented a new fear. I’ve always enjoyed school and I’ve always gone to the same one. Since my school is private, it goes from pre-k to 12th grade.
In reality, I had nothing to be afraid of. In my high school, there are only around 400 students and I personally know most of them.
But as I was walking into the high school building for the first time as a ninth grader, I was scared.
I trembled as I walked past the senior lounge, and as I walked through the junior hall, I felt as if everyone were judging me. I could feel them talking about me and hear them making fun of me. Why would they want a little ninth grader like me walking through their hallway, I thought.
And I was even more horrified of what would happen if I were to trip and fall – would my social life have been over?
Of course not.
Looking back now, I know that the seniors and juniors most likely didn’t even see me walk in that day. They have their own insecurities to worry about. This is high school, after all.
It took me a few weeks to realize how strange I was acting, and to feel at ease in those hallways.
But even today, I walk lightly, just to make sure I don’t trip and fall.

Taylor Isenhour is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.