Christmas Perspective Terrorism

I won’t stop going to the Christmas Market

The Edinburgh Christmas Market in Edinburgh, Scotland. (Kiernan Majerus-Collins/YJI)
EDINBURGH, Scotland – I’ve been to the Christmas market in Edinburgh several times in recent weeks.

Flags fly at half staff in Scotland for victims of Monday’s terrorist attack in Berlin, Germany that killed 12 people and injured many more. (Kiernan Majerus-Collins/YJI)

It’s a festive, joyful place, full of tasty food, carnival rides, and holiday shops. I’ve seen families with young children, college kids on dates, groups of friends – it’s a place where everyone can enjoy the Christmas season.
My heart breaks for the victims of last night’s terrorist attack at Berlin’s Christmas market. To have a place of  happiness and light transformed into a scene of death and destruction is awful.
I hope, however, that we won’t respond to this attack and others like it with fear.
The world can be more secure, but that security must not come at a cost of the things that make life worth living.
For my part, I’ll be going back to Edinburgh’s Christmas market later this week.
I will never stop believing in the power of hope, love, and joy – especially at Christmas.
Kiernan Majerus-Collins is a Senior Correspondent with Youth Journalism International.

The Edinburgh Christmas Market, with St. Giles’ Cathedral in the background. (Kiernan Majerus-Collins/YJI)

***
Your tax-deductible contribution in support of the student writers
and artists at Youth Journalism International is needed.
Thank you for your generous gifts.