Movies Reviews

‘Hunger Games’ Blends Action, Suspense

Brooklyn, New York, UNITED STATES — If you are looking to see a superb blend of action and suspense this spring, The Hunger Games is the perfect movie for you.
This film will cause you to wait anxiously on the edge of your soda-smelling seat or in my case, crack your knuckles nervously until the ending credits.
The Hunger Games, directed by Gary Ross, is set in a dystopia – a futuristic world where every year one boy and girl are randomly selected from each of 12 districts to fight to the death in The Hunger Games.
Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence, and Peeta Mellark, played by Josh Hutcherson, are the two leading characters and the two children chosen from one district to compete in this violent game.
In the midst of The Hunger Games’ arena Katniss, Peeta, and 22 others must face issues of loss, love, and courage, as they feverishly hope that the odds will be ever in their favor.
Lawrence was the perfect Katniss and she was exactly how I imagined Katniss to be. She was tough and brave all wrapped in one and very believable throughout the entire film. Her acting was splendid and it was no surprise to me that she has received several major awards in the past.
Josh Hutcherson’s performance as Peeta was impressive and quite different than his in other movies that I did not like as much, such as Journey to the Center of the Earth. I felt as if this movie was a turning point for him, that he really grew up in this film.
The other actors and actresses in this film were amazing as well and I thought that Willow Shields, who played Primrose Everdeen, Katniss’ sister, did a particularly wonderful job, especially in scenes with a high level of tension.
One issue that I had with this movie was the fact that the other competitors in The Hunger Games had very small roles.
Rue, for example, only appeared in a few scenes, while in the book she was by Katniss’ side for a good portion of the novel.

The special effects in this film were incredible. I truly felt as though some of the creatures in the movie, such as the big dogs, were going to jump out of the screen and land in the seat next to me.
Also, the costumes in this movie were well put together. When Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci), interviewed Katniss, she wore a stunning red dress. I desperately wanted to wear it myself. The red glitter that was glued to her shoulder was a lovely touch with the gorgeous dress that she wore.
My only problem with the costumes, hair, and makeup in this movie, was the fact that while Katniss was fighting to the death for a few weeks, her hair and makeup remained perfect. Her braid was still intact through a forest fire, running from wild animals, and many more dangerous obstacles. Her makeup was still beautiful after everything that she went through and I never saw her break a sweat during all of her near death experiences.
This was quite unrealistic, of course, but all of the amazing acting in this movie eventually distracted me from this little issue.
In total, I highly recommend the movie for any child or adult who is in the mood for a thriller that is filled to the brim with tension, action, and suspense. 
Emma Bally is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.

3 Comments

• Good article! I loved the movie- I was definitely impressed by the casting and costumes too. And you make a valid point about Katniss looking perfect the whole time, I never realized it until I read this.