Perspective The Tattoo

Students sign prom pledge not to drink

Absolutely no drinking. How close can schools come to an alcohol-free prom? Parents, teachers and the general public are deeply concerned with the problem of alcohol and teenagers — especially around prom season.

So what’s the solution? There’s probably none other than not drinking at all. But that would be too difficult for most teens. What seems to be most needed is awareness.

Prom Promise is a program that helps inform the student body about the dangers of drinking and driving. It involves a series of activities that started this spring and ends on prom night.

Prom night is one of the most memorable nights in one’s life, the pledge states, and the student wants to stay alive to remember it. In signing the pledge, he promises not to use drugs or alcohol on prom night.

Another activity Terryville students arranged during their lunch waves was to confine administrators to a specified area. In order to keep them ‘locked up’ a certain number of students had to sign the pledge.

Other Prom Promise-related efforts include the tri-school Peer Educators’ float in the Memorial Day Parade, anti-drinking announcements, fliers and posters at area schools and an activity night at Bristol Eastern High School by the class of 1995.

Bryan Pena is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.