Insider's Guide to High School The Tattoo

Surviving extra-curriculars

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. — You’ve finally made it. Welcome to high school. The big dogs. The world is your oyster.
Sort of.
Odds are, you were probably presented with a wide variety of options when you entered high school. Sports, debate team, mathletes, Amnesty International, the list goes on. Everything sounds intriguing and inviting, right?
Well, look before you leap into after-school activities.
Most schools offer some great options. Perhaps you’ve always been fascinated by law. The Mock Trial team could be a perfect fit. Or maybe you’re a Food Network aficionado. Cooking club?
Extra-curriculars allow you to explore interests and meet new people — and they look strong on college applications in a few years.
The problem arises with these activities when you overload yourself. Playing a sport and attending multiple club meetings on top of a demanding school workload, friends, significant others/crushes and your family can be too much.
How are you supposed to find a minute to study, finish a worksheet or call up your buddies? If you’re bombarded with extra-curriculars, the answer is never.
Combat extracurricular overload by choosing a few activities. Try out anything that interests you. There’s no harm in attending that Pokemon appreciation meeting, or stopping by the field hockey team’s first practice.
After giving anything that tickles your fancy a go, decide which ones you truly enjoy. Stick with the ones you are passionate about, and say good-bye to the others.
Your grades, social life and overall mental health will thank you.

Leah Igdalsky is a Junior Reporter for Youth Journalism International.