Movies Reviews The Tattoo

A journey through time, backwards

Carteret, New Jersey, U.S.A. — “What’s it like to grow young?”
For years, people have wondered this question. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the agility of a “young ‘un” and the wisdom of one who has experienced heartache?
In “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” we are met with the story of the man cursed with the blessing of growing young.
He started his life as a frail, wrinkled, little old man which inhibited his natural curiosity and yearning for physical activity, but then grew into a dashing, strong, capable, wise-beyond-his-years middle-aged man, before contracting to a small boy with Alzheimer’s … knowing there was more to his life than what he recalls.
Finally, he ends his life as a baby being cared for by the love of his life.
Interesting? Yes. Confusing? A bit — after all, how is it that he was born old? Beautiful? Enrapturing? Romantic? Comedic? Yes.
My only complaint about this film is how long it is.

I can understand that in order to tell the story in the calm, never rushed way, one must consume quite some time.
However, for those who, like me, have a somewhat short attention span, it is all too easy to become bored with the film, and to discontinue paying attention and start texting instead.
I have no clue what the message of the movie was. I’m sure that the intent was to entertain, to provoke questions of “what would you do in that situation?” and to make others more curious.
To be perfectly honest, I cannot say that I understand what the producers were trying to bring to the table.
I believe I got so bored with the film (Sorry Benjamin Button!) that I became unobservant and more consumed with the cellular device in my palm that was supposed to be turned off than the larger than life version of Brad Pitt on the screen.
What I took away from the movie was a feeling of sadness, and the quote, “It’s better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all,” but an odd feeling of contentment, too.
The characters were played marvelously by a stellar cast; each portrayed their assigned part well They not only played their respective roles, they are now imprinted in my mind as those characters.
Brad Pitt’s fantastic portrayal of a 7-year-old boy with the curiosity the size of an awfully large cat will never allow me to think of him the same way.
The same applies to the rest of the cast.
Cate Blanchett, in my eyes, will always be a depraved dancer who will have to say goodbye to her love.
Taraji P. Henson shall forever be the maternal, loving, caring woman who looks after others before herself.
And Jared Harris shall always be a drunk, barge-sailing, carefree “artist.”
This film is more of a journey than an actual movie. Its setting brings about a feeling of warmth and love, and the characters prvide joviality and keep you caring.
So though I got a bit anxious for the ending to come about, I would, in a heartbeat, recommend this journey to any looking for an interesting film to watch … if they have the time and attention span, that is.

Shekinah-Glory Dhanie-Beepat is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.