Christmas The Tattoo

Christmas contest deadline looms

It’s time for The Tattoo’s annual holiday decorations contest in Bristol.

BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. (Special to The Bristol Press) Wake up Dad, quick! It’s time to dust off that plastic statue of Santa and Rudolph, get out the special holiday wreaths, and change the dead bulbs on the Christmas lights.

Yes, it’s time once again to get your holiday displays ready for the newspaper’s second annual Holiday Lights and Outdoor Decorations Contest!

The Bristol Press’ teen page writers, who are orchestrating the contest, are ready to help the merry citizens of Bristol participate in some good, clean decoration competition – and help you make the Christmas of a needy child in our community a little bit brighter at the same time.

Here are the rules: Entries can be homes, businesses, churches, schools, agencies or organizations. The display must be visible from the road.

Entries will be accepted at the newspaper office at 99 Main St. until 6 p.m., Friday, Dec. 20.

Each entry must be accompanied by at least one new, unwrapped toy or book that will, before Christmas, be given to poor children in our community.

Enter yourself! Enter a friend! Enter somebody you don’t even know but whose decorations deserve notice! Whatever you do, enter right now!

No display is too insignificant. Spirit, creativity, and innovation count for a lot when it comes down to making the final judging decisions.

Staff members of The Tattoo, the teen page printed in the newspaper, will judge the displays.

Winners will be listed in the newspaper before Christmas, and the best display overall will be pictured along with the story.

Open to Bristol Press readers, the contest last year generated more than 70 wonderful gifts.

With help from the Bristol Community Organization and the homeless shelter operated by the St. Vincent DePaul Society of Bristol, the toys helped make Christmastime better for the area’s needy
children.

The Tattoo hopes to top that number this year.

According to BCO director Thomas Morrow, many local children will again need generous donations like these for Christmas this year.

But the Tattoo staff can’t do it without your help, so put down that glass of eggnog and pick up a string of lights.

Go get your house all decked out and then bring your entry form and a toy or book to the Bristol Press.

This year, the Tattoo staff and its Christmas spirit is taking over to make this season’s contest even better than last.

Appearing occasionally in The Bristol Press, The Tattoo is written completely by local high school students under the direction of Press reporters Jackie Majerus and Steve Collins.

What are you waiting for? The contest is effective now! It’s time to make your house and a little child’s Christmas a whole lot brighter.

Happy holidays, and good luck!

Amanda Lehmert is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.