Opinion

Don’t forget Africa

WARREN, Michigan, U.S.A. — When I think of London, England, I imagine those guards with the tall hats. I imagine Big Ben chiming the hour. I imagine a double-decker bus going happily down the street.
Suddenly, there is a massive explosion and the bus is completely destroyed.
What? Is this not in keeping with your vision of London? It should be — after today.
Several bombs went off in London this morning, killing over 40 people and injuring more than 300, according to officials.
The terrorists claiming the responsibility for the blasts say they are a British cell of al-Qaeda, the same group who attacked the United States in 2001.
In nearby Scotland, eight world leaders are meeting to discuss poverty in Africa and global warming.
Terrorism is, of course, on the agenda, but it was not nearly as important until today. The focus of the G-8 summit is sure to change, now that one of the leaders has had to leave to deal with a terrorist attack.
Where will this leave the poor African babies dying of AIDS?
And Bob Geldof, the creator of Live 8? I’m sure he’s not too happy. The point of Live 8 was to put the focus of the G-8 summit on aid to Africa.
Millions of supporters wearing white wristbands, but it may all come to nothing.
Hopefully, the G-8 will be able to keep the focus on Africa, while still managing to work out their terrorist issues.

Liane Harder is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.