Insider's Guide to High School The Tattoo

Learn to type, and other good advice

BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. — So you want to know what the “easy A” courses are? Too bad, it’s not that easy.

But I could suggest some useful courses. After all, you do want to make sense out of your high school education.

The high school staff suggests every student take word processing, preferably in their freshman year.

I can tell you why. Everyone should know how to type. You will need this skill.

If you think you already know how, well then, there’s an easy A for you. This course teaches you the proper way to type, which is the most efficient way, as well as formats of various documents. An added bonus: no homework assignments.

Knowing a language other than English is very helpful. Every high school student should take a foreign language.

Bristol offers Spanish, French, Italian and Latin. Pick one and stick to it. It will help you with English, SAT and travel.

If you just can’t understand why there is a silent H in Spanish, I recommend you get a tutor if you have to. Why? Three years of a single high school foreign language meet the foreign language requirements in some colleges. That means you don’t have to take it in college if you don’t want to.

The majority of Bristol high school graduates do go on to college. If you’re college bound, I strongly recommend taking the most difficult courses you can handle. Aim for the accelerated and AP.

You will learn a lot more and maybe you won’t be part of the 8 percent of students who flunk out the first semester at UConn.

Big bonus: college credits, big money and time saver; plus you will get those dreaded courses done and over with.

Follow my advice and no one can say your diploma is just a piece of paper.

Hila Yosafi is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.