Fix Perspective

Libya Is The Latest To Catch Fire

By Jessica Elsayed
Senior Reporter
Youth Journalism International
ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – The flames of freedom in Tunisia and Egypt are setting the entire Middle East ablaze.
Now that youth in Egypt are tasting freedom, it’s become a priority to raise funds to aid our neighbors in Libya, people we call our brothers and sisters.
Libya has been afflicted with one of history’s worse leaders, Muammar el-Qaddafi.
Qaddafi, who long ago led Libya’s revolution against their monarchy, has ruled the country for the past 42 years. He is a dictator who belongs with the likes of Hitler and Stalin.
He’s left his people in the dark and has an attitude that made even the most intelligent and sophisticated analysts call him a lunatic.
During his speech Tuesday night he explained to the world how it is legal to kill his own people and that he is free to do so.
It’s been reported that he paid mercenaries from Niger and Chad $2,000 dollars a day to come and kill the protesters. He cursed at his people for revolting time and time again. He called them rats and claimed that they were merely children who took hallucination pills from Egyptians and Tunisians.
I think everyone knows who is truly hallucinating.
Using air strikes, tanks and army ships, he killed and injured 3,000 people in three days, all while he waves around his “Green Book” which he claims to contain the basis for all democracy that every country should embrace.
He even created a crematory for his armed forces if they were to disobey his orders to kill and believes that anyone on the streets will be legally sentenced to death.
He has created an illusion for himself that he is all mighty and glorious and that without him, Libya will be colonized by the oil-thirsty West or will turn into another Afghanistan by separating into independent Islamic states run by Osama Bin Laden.
Those who do not obey him, even families in homes, are hungry and thirsty.
The people consider those who were injured as dead because there are no medical supplies.
Libya’s main cities have no internet, no phones, no electricity and no water, all while he claims that he has not yet began using “violence.”
The youth of Egypt have managed with difficulty to send daily trucks filled with medicine and aid across the Libyan borders.
The people of Egypt are also standing in solidarity in front of Libyan embassies.
More importantly, they are using our sources of communication to call on the international community, on the United Nations and on every peace-loving nation, to take action immediately.
There are now also protests in Yemen, Bahrain and Morocco. Some countries, like Algeria have even taken early steps to reform before any serious action is taken in the streets.
Then there is of course Saudi Arabia, whose leaders are trembling on their thrones, watching carefully as the world changes around them.
No one knows for sure who will be next to claim freedom in the Middle East, but the fight, as heartbreaking and difficult as it is, continues.
********
Youth Journalism International’s annual journalism contest is underway.
See www.YouthJournalism.org for details.