Perspective Sports

Murray’s Wimbledon Win Unites Britain

RICHMOND, North Yorkshire, UK – Andy Murray’s win at Wimbledon, the first by a British man since Fred Perry did it 77 years ago, united the country behind one man, with everyone feeling
immensely proud.

Defeating men’s tennis star Novak Djokovic, the world’s top player, looked impossible despite Murray’s victory over him at the Olympics last year.

But with the roar of the Centre Court crowd, the Grand Slam champion from Dunblane, Scotland pulled it off.
Apart from the fact that it means so much to the nation to finally have a British champion again, people also saw the win as a sign of hope for Dunblane.
Back in 1996, a gunman entered a primary school there and killed 16 students and a teacher before committing suicide. Murray, 8, was among the survivors crouching
beneath his desk in a nearby classroom.
Had the shooter arrived a little later, he might have been in the room where the murders took place.
After the match, many are speculating that sometime in the near future, the new champion may be knighted as Sir Andy Murray.
All around, people are calling his win the greatest British sporting achievement in years.
However, they said the same thing Chris Hoy after the London Olympics last year.
But it’s no bad thing to have a long list of greatest achievements.
There is an amazing number of talented young people in sports. It’s just a matter of finding them and providing the support necessary to make them better. Britain needs to find the Murrays of the future, as successors to come up in a few years time.
It will be good to see what happens next.
Robert Mooney is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.