Perspective Terrorism

Not America’s Tragedy, But A World Tragedy

“Terrorism isn’t James Bond or Tom Clancy. Even Al-Quaeda is looking old school these days–now it’s just some guy with a bomb. He walks the same roads as us. He thinks the same thoughts. But he’s got a bomb.”   MICHAEL MARSHALL, “Blood of Angels”
By Narine Daneghyan
Reporter
YEREVAN, Armenia – It was a sunny day and people were coming back from their workplaces. It was morning in New York, but already evening in Yerevan.

I was a primary school pupil 10 years ago.

On Sept. 11, 2001, I came home, did my lessons and switched on the TV. All our local channels were broadcasting CNN.
I stood in front of TV for a while watching the New York horror … terrorism … planes crashing the towers … bin Laden … it was like I was watching a horror film.
Unfortunately it was not a film, it was reality. In the coming two or three hours, our family and millions of families all over the world watched with horror and tears how people from the North and East towers were throwing themselves down. Some time passed, and the towers collapsed…
I was watching how the reporters worked near the towers, risking with their lives, giving us information about what was happening.
Maybe on that day I decided to become a journalist.
9/11 was not only a tragedy for Americans, it was a world tragedy.
It made people understand that they are not safe until there are no such radicals like Osama bin Laden.
It is interesting that directly 10 years after the Sept. 11 attacks, Osama bin Laden was killed.
Whether the world will be safe after the death of its number one terrorist, only time will tell.