Fix Photo Essay

OpSail: A Celebration Of Sailing And The Sea

youthjournalism.org

The Eagle, a U.S. Coast Guard sailing ship, in the distance off the coast of New London, Connecticut. The cutter, a training ship based at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, led the parade of ships at OpSail Saturday.

OpSail, a Connecticut-based celebration of sailing and especially tall ships, held a parade of ships on Saturday from Niantic, Conn. to New London, Connecticut on Saturday. Festivities continue today.
youthjournalism.org

Reporters Mary Majerus-Collins, left, and Yelena Samofalova, right, watch the Eagle off the coast of New London, Connecticut Saturday.

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org

The Eagle, at left, docked next to another

tall ship at Fort Trumbull State Park
in New London, Connecticut.

youthjournalism.org

The Amistad, built as a “freedom schooner” at the preservation shipyard in Mystic, Connecticut, has spent more than a decade drawing attention to the history of the Atlantic slave trade and the abolitionists and resisters who fought it. On Saturday, the Amistad joined a parade of ships at OpSail. It is shown above on the horizon on the left side of the frame, sailing past the lighthouse and the crowds at Ocean Beach Park in New London, Connecticut on Saturday.

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org

The Eagle, at left, docks with another tall ship

at Fort Trumbull State Park in New London, Connecticut
on Saturday.                                                                        

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org

With the Eagle at the dock at Fort Trumbull State
Park, 

a line of sailors are perched in the rigging

of the 

mast on the left. Another tall ship blocks a

direct view of the Eagle.