Perspective Terrorism

Pakistan School Attack: How Should We Respond To Those Who Speak In Violence?

Victims of terrorist attack on a school in Peshawar.
BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Today in Pakistan the Taliban struck again, with the same merciless manner some have been forced to know all too well. While many across the world
went about their daily lives, studying their different subjects and conversing with friends, others were not so lucky.
The most recent reports say 132 children and nine staff members were killed at a school in Peshawar. If my classmates and I were told this information, instantly we would ask where? We are lucky enough not to experience such horrors in the UK.
We are lucky enough to have to wonder where the attack happened, instead of, “Do I know any victims?”
Malala Yousafzai, winner of this year’s Nobel Peace Prize for her campaign work in education, has spoken out about how she is
“heartbroken by this senseless and cold-blooded act of terror.” And that is what this is – an example of the ruthless destruction of innocent lives that goes on in the world far too often.
It is a privilege that I share with many to be able to read about such events, as opposed to experiencing them.
All those in fortunate positions must appreciate the opportunity to use their classroom facilities for learning, rather than using them as shields from a very possible death.
Benches were made for sitting, not hiding under whilst you hope and pray that you live to see another day.
Unfortunately, violence is commonplace today in the world we all share, and more often than not it is the innocent who bear the consequences. There is no doubt that actions need to be taken by the Pakistani government to combat the actions of the Taliban, but how do you communicate with those who speak in violence?
Fighting fire with fire seems to be the way of many, but what good comes from it? More lives are lost, more families end up grieving, and more problems are caused.
 I would like to think that those of us who are able should feel a sense of gratitude for our ability to walk into school and walk out again in the same piece. I hope that we are all grateful if the most traumatic event of the day is an extra piece of homework.
I wish for the day when all young people around the world can experience safety in their places of learning. 
Lauren Pope is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.
***
Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at