Insider's Guide to High School The Tattoo

Read just for fun

TURLOCK, California, U.S.A. — Yesterday, I attended a matinee at a theatre in Villette, France. After enjoying a fantastic operatic performance, I journeyed to China in less than three and a half minutes and stood in the court of a wealthy businessman.
I had just witnessed the birth of a First Lady when my mom knocked on the door and asked me to go to sleep.
No, contrary to what my friends say, my brain is still intact. I also have full control of my faculties and I know how to read.
Read? Oh, yes, that’s what I was doing last night!
One of the most important things you can do in high school is read.
Of course, reading will be mandatory. You’ll probably get your share of 20-pound history textbooks and musty copies of Dickens and Shakespeare. But plowing through a volume on the Cold War is one thing, recreational reading is another (and definitely not as intimidating).
Recreational reading will not only expand your horizons and allow you to explore your interests, but it will also help you unconsciously improve your grammar, diction, vocabulary and comprehension skills.
Trust me, you’ll put those skills to good use during your high school career in your English, history, science and maybe even your math classes.
They’ll also come in handy when standardized testing and college application time rolls around.
Reading gets you places.
If you just happened to be deprived of the joys of “Reading Rainbow” as a child, you can still discover the magic of books.
Read what you like – magazines, science fiction, thrillers, autobiographies, even the encyclopedia, if that’s what interests you.
Gradually, you’ll find your niche in the world of literature. You’ll come to enjoy reading if you make it enjoyable for yourself in the first place.
You never know, you might even win a round-trip to medieval England or a time machine adventure to the year 2097!

Michel Lee is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.