Christmas The Tattoo

Sparkling lights in a Mississippi Christmas

BRUCE, Mississippi, U.S.A. – At Christmas in Mississippi, you hardly ever see people caroling, and there are some places where it never snows. But Christmas is still the most wonderful time of the year.

Children are out of school for the holidays, and Christmas lights sparkle everywhere around town.

There are also holiday parades. Bruce, Mississippi celebrates with the Bruce Christmas Parade. Everyone looks forward to seeing the Bruce Band, which some people say is the best part of the parade.

On Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, there are special sales, so lots of people get up at about midnight to go shopping. It’s very exciting.

Here in Mississippi, we also have a day called All Prodigious Day. It’s a day when there are parades, and children can sit in Santa’s lap and have Breakfast with Santa.

And of course, there are decorations. People buy trees at Christmas tree farms. There’s even a contest for Best Christmas House, in which the house that looks the prettiest with all the Christmas lights on it wins.

Tiffany Coleman is a Junior Reporter for Youth Journalism International.