Insider's Guide to High School The Tattoo

The dating game ain’t easy to play

Has this ever happened to you? You meet a guy, you think he is so great that you ask him out, he says yes and everything is perfect … or so you think.

Two weeks later he calls you, apologizes in advance for what he’s about to do, and then BAM! tells you it’s not working out.

Not working out? For who? Certainly not for you.

What about him? Wasn’t he the one who told you no less then 24 hours ago how much you meant to him and how happy he was?

Then he hangs up on you and the next day you see him cuddling with your best friend after school in ‘your spot.’

Sound familiar?

Dating is something we all do. Every weekend we get dressed up and go out to flaunt and put on a show for the opposite sex. Why?

Sure, having someone call you to see how your day was, and knowing that person will be there for you is a great thing when you and your “‘rents” have a war.

What about the down side?

Having a member of the opposite sex adore your every word and movement is a difficult and extremely time-consuming task to have in your life.

You have to spend 75 percent of your day being with or talking to that person or else the relationship never seems to work.

And dating can give even the most cool,collected person an ulcer, wondering why her mate hasn’t called her at the 6:30 p.m. time when he always calls.

This can leave her racking her brain for what seems like hours about what she could have done wrong.

Until, at 6:37, the phone finally rings.

Who needs that?

Believe it or not most, including myself, do.

Sure, you can complain and moan that your relationship takes up too much of your time and that you’re not happy.

Well if you’re not content, then get out of your current relationship.

If you are happy and have no reason to complain but do it anyway,then knock it off.

What a relationship requires, in my humble opinion, is time, patience, and room to grow.

If you feel that you cannot give your relationship 100 percent of those three things then maybe you should stay out of the dating scene for a bit to think about your priorities­ and decide what you want and can give to it.

Jessica Norton is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.